History of the Club
In the late 1950’s and early 1960’s a nucleus of Jewish golfers formed the South Essex Jewish Golfers Society (SEJGS) as they were being refused membership to local clubs on religious grounds. Because of the situation they decided to setup their own golf club. The founding members agreed to invest, and with the help of a wealthy benefactor, JohnRubens, purchased the farm land where we are today. The Club was finally opened in 1964. Abridge accordingly respects its Jewish heritage and is closed on theJewish Holy Day of Atonement, as well as Christmas Day. In the constitution of the Club, we are proud to state that not only do we welcome members of the Jewish faith, but all creeds and faiths have and will always be welcome.